Sunday, September 24, 2023

Painting tracks

 I thought I would document my process for painting tracks.

These are for my current Pz IV build and are 3D printed from ET Models.

I use this method for metal tracks as well, rather than using blackening solution.

Assembly of the tracks, the pins were a bit loose so I put a spot of Mr Surfacer on each pin to secure them in place.



I use this primer for both metal and resin tracks, however it's too hot for use on plastic.



Lacquer paint for base color, I've experimented with different colors but I find this the best, it's a very dark brown towards the green side. I've found using a base color with red in it turns the tracks towards purple when the weathering is done.




I only use enamels for weathering tracks. I apply these by speckling and blending with a dry brush. In order from dark to light, Humbrol 170 Brown Bess, Humbrol 186  then Revell 382 
All are mixed to a wash consistency.





Next step for these tracks because this is a desert tank will be pigments.
My usual process is to add them as a slurry and remove the excess with thinners, however I'll leave these cure for a few days before I apply the pigments because I don't want to risk the thinners removing the enamels.
The tracks on my Sicily Panzer III were painted exactly like this so that shows the end result once the pigments are done 


No comments:

Post a Comment

1/16 DAK Panzer Pionier

 I've been working on this 1/16 scale figure from Andrea. This is the first figure I've painted in probably 15 years. Some in progre...